“Not enough storage is available to process this command” Visual Studio
Sometimes late in the day while working with Visual Studio 2010 I start to get this error while building a project. “Error 104 Metadata file ‘bla bla’ could not be opened — ‘Not enough storage is available to process this command. ‘ I clean, rebuild and still get the same error.
The most common fix for this is creating or increasing the IRPStackSize value in the Parameters Key within the LanManServer config. This process requires an edit of your current registry so please do this with caution and create a backup before fiddling around.
The IRPStackSize is a parameter that specifies the number of stack locations in I/O request packets (IRPs) that are used by the operating system. Each stack uses 36 bytes of memory for each receive buffer and you can increase the IRPStackSize, through the Windows registry for some transports, media access control (MAC) drivers, or for file system drivers. The default value of the IRPStackSize parameter is 15. On my Windows 7 PC, for whatever reason, it was set to 10. I creaded it to 20 and have not had an issue anymore.
To do this follow the steps below:
1. Click on Start > Run > regedit & press Enter
2. Find this key name HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters
3. Locate IRPStackSize
4. If this value does not exist Righ Click on Parameters key and Click on New > Dword Value and type in IRPStackSize under the name.
5. The name of the value must be exactly (combination of uppercase and lowercase letters) the same as what I have above.
6. Right Click on the IRPStackSize and click on Modify
7. Select Decimal enter a value higher than 15(Maximum Value is 50 decimal) and Click Ok
8. You can close the registry editor and restart your computer.